Code Integration Frequency
The average number of production-ready pull requests a team closes per day, normalized by the number of developers on the team. On a team with 5 developers, healthy CI practice is at least 5 per day.
What is the intended behavior?
- Increase the frequency of code integration
- Reduce the size of each change
- Improve code review processes
- Remove unneeded processes
- Improve quality feedback
How to improve it
- Decompose code changes into smaller units to incrementally deliver features.
- Use BDD to aid functional breakdown.
- Use TDD to design more modular code that can be integrated more frequently.
- USe feature flags, branch by abstraction, or other coding techniques to control the release of new features.
How to game it
- Meaningless changes integrated to trunk.
- Breaking changes integrated to trunk.
Metrics to use in combination with this metric to prevent unintended consequences.
- Quality decreases if testing is skipped.