Quality is measured as the percentage of finished work that is reported as
defective or valueless by the end user and by stability and availability
What is the intended behavior?
Identify and rapidly resolve any gaps in the process of identifying the value to
be delivered and the quality steps in the construction process.
How is it improved?
- Identify root causes.
- Add automated checks to the pipeline to prevent re-occurrence.
- Only begin new work with testable acceptance criteria.
- Design feedback loops in every stage to rapid;y alert to quality, performance,
or availability issues.
How is it gamed?
- Defects are logged as new features (seen by growing throughput, but lowering
customer satisfaction and increasing complaints)
- Using test coverage to proxy quality
The following metrics could degrade if not tracked with this metric
- WIP metric increases for defect types.
- Feature delivery is impacted as defects are over prioritized.