Change Fail Rate
The percentage of changes that result in negative customer impact, or rollback.
changeFailRate = failedChangeCount / changeCount
What is the intended behavior?
Reduce the percentage of failed changes to less than 15%.
How is it improved?
- Release more, smaller changes to make quality steps more effective and reduce
the impact of failure.
- Identify root cause for each failure and improve the automated quality checks.
How is it gamed?
- Deploy fixes without recording the defect.
- Create defect review meetings and re-classify defects as feature requests.
- Re-deploy the latest working version to increase deploy count.
The following metrics could degrade if not tracked with this metric