Average Build Downtime
The average length of time between when a build breaks and when it is fixed.
What is the intended behavior?
Keep the pipelines always deployable by fixing broken builds as rapidly as
possible. Broken builds are the highest priority since they prevent production
fixes from being deployed in a safe, standard way.
How is it improved?
- Refactor to improve testability and modularity.
- Improve tests to locate problems more rapidly.
- Decrease the size of the component to reduce complexity.
- Add automated alerts for broken builds.
- Ensure the proper team practice is in place to support each other in solving
the problem as a team.
How is it gamed?
- Re-build the previous version.
- Remove tests that are failing.
The following metrics could degrade if not tracked with this metric
- Integration Frequency decreases as additional
manual or automated process overhead is added before integration to trunk.
- Throughput decreases as manual verification steps are added
to ensure each pull request does not break the build.